[SLVRCLIST] Eastern Ontario Packet on 145.010

Douglas Pearson pearsod at cogeco.ca
Tue Feb 26 15:23:14 GMT 2013

Peter: We ran a digi on 145.030 for a number of years, part of our ARES
infrastructure. Due to poor coverage and no other nodes to connect to,
usage was zero according to the logs. So about 18 months ago I changed
the node at our VE3SVC repeater site in Cornwall from 145.030 to 144.390
to make it an APRS fill in node. At least it gets some usage now according
to www.aprs.fi.

It is possible to enter the packet network from here via VE2RM on 145.010
in Rigaud (Montréal) but my monitoring (albeit fairly limited) would suggest
near zero usage there as well.

As D-STAR is fairly well established in this area now, and even its low
speed data channel is as fast as 1200 bps packet, our efforts towards ARES
digital capability will be focused on it rather than on traditional packet.
It is difficult to find anyone in this area that even has a working TNC or
packet station anymore. It would appear the days of 1200 packet, except
for APRS, are over.

73 de VE3HTR
Doug
S.D.&G. ARES